These are the best burritos I have ever made. I took a couple of recipes I found on the net and combined ingredients. I cooked my own beans, but you can take a short-cut and use beans from a can. Another short-cut is to use microwavable rice. I used Bird’s Eye Steamfresh brown rice. Also, if you would like a little heat, add the jalapeno. I left them out for my husband’s sake, but I will definitely be adding them to mine next time.
This makes two good size burritos. I did have enough left over for my daughter to eat, but she would have nothing to do with it. Plain beans and cheese for her.
- 2 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped OR 2 mini peppers
- 2 oz diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 -15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained OR 1 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven heated to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Place onion, bell pepper, garlic, diced chiles, and jalapenos in skillet, cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour beans into skillet, cook 3 minutes stirring.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to skillet with cumin and salt. Cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir rice and cilantro into mixture.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese as desired onto warm tortilla. Spoon bean mixture evenly down center of warmed tortilla and roll tortilla up. Serve immediately.